St. James is a congregation that shows its faith through acts of love toward our neighbors in need. We are a church in the world that recognizes that the kingdom of God is right here and right now, when we serve others. Members of St. James are encouraged to share their time, talent, and treasure for service in the world. It is through volunteer activities that members can live into the call to discipleship. St. James strives to share a portion of its annual budget to extend God’s love through financial gifts where needed. St. James ministries provide support to:
- School counselors from the North Kansas City and Park Hill School districts identify students in need and refer their families to the St. James Food Pantry.
- We participate in Harvesters’ Grocery Store Recovery program, receiving food and other items from Walmart, Target and ALDI. Overstock items are shared with other Northland pantries and Operation Breakthrough.
- The Letter Carrier’s Food Drive provides food distributed from the St. James Food Pantry.
- We participate in Harvesters’ Backsnack program, serving Linden West Elementary students.
- Kid-friendly food is provided weekly to preschoolers and Northland HeadStart.
- Members of St. James join in Church World Service’s annual CROP Walk to raise money for local and world agencies feeding the hungry.
- We provide and help to serve meals for individuals at the ReStart Homeless Shelter and Shalom House and Gathering Table.
- The congregation of St. James provides financial support to The Heifer Project, Feed America, Bread for the World, Feed Northland Kids, and Orphan Grain Train.
- Della Lamb
- Lutheran Immigration & Refugee Services
- St. James conducts clothing drives and members volunteer at the Clay County Clothes Closet
The LEAST OF THOSE AMONG US
St. James provides financial support for local and regional advocacy programs and services through:
- Central Asia Institute
- Oaks Indian Mission
- Northland Assistance Center
- Synergy Services
- Sheffield Place
- Operation Breakthrough
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Lutheran Disaster Response
- Lutheran World Relief
Metro Lutheran Ministry (MLM) has offices on our main church campus, helping to extend an array of social programs and services to families in the Northland. St. James is a founding member of MLM and as such, has two members of its congregation on the board of directors at all times and provides financial support to MLM’s annual operating budget. Each year, the congregation collects Christmas gifts, food and blankets for the MLM Christmas store. Hand -made hats, mittens and quilts are lovingly crafted by our Project Group throughout the year and are delivered to the Christmas Store every December for distribution to the hundreds of families served by MLM.